The market town of Burgebrach, the oldest settlement in the Ebrach Valley, is situated at the gateway to the Steigerwald forest. The Rauhe Ebrach and Mittlere Ebrach rivers merge here. "Free Franks" - probably disbanded warriors from the Saxon Wars - settled here as early as the 8th century. They built two large farmsteads on the "Mittlere Ebrach" which are thought to be the origin of the settlement Ebera. In 1023 the settlement was mentioned for the first time as "Urbs Ebraha". The name Burgebrach developed from this over time.
The place belonged to the Bishopric of Würzburg until 1377, before it was sold to the High Monastery at Bamberg (episcopal see). Burgebrach received the right to hold markets in 1472. Today markets are still held on every 2nd Sunday in March, June, September and on the last Sunday in November. They have been held in Hauptstraße and Marktstraße and in front of the community centre since time immemorial.
On the orders of the bishop, the citizens had to erect three well-fortified towers for the protection of the growing town. The towers and the swampy area around the arms of the Ebrach meant that the market town remained largely untouched by war.
After the substantial boom which resulted from the transfer of the High Monastery at Bamberg to Bavaria, further impressive structures were built in the 18th century. These monuments still serve as reminders of this era and are located in the historical centre of Burgebrach. Burgebrach with its 27 constituent communities today forms an administration community with the community of Schönbrunn im Steigerwald. Burgebrach will celebrate its 1000 year anniversary in 2023.
The horse-drawn mail coach went down Hauptstraße and through Treppendorf towards Reichmannsdorf every day until the 1st of February 1971. Michael Hertrich was the last driver, before the team was replaced by a motor car. When he had enough space in his coach, Mr Hertrich used to offer a free ride to the railway station.