Beer culture has a long tradition in Franconia. It is therefore hardly surprising that the region has the highest density of breweries in the world. Rock cellars were used to store beer and other agricultural products before modern cooling methods were invented. The cellars were driven into the hillsides near settlements. Since the tunnels in the Kellerberg were at a constant low temperature all the year round, they served as a natural refrigerator. The heyday of cellar construction in Franconia can be dated quite precisely to between 1850 and 1860.
Taverns or beer gardens were often built over the rock cellars to avoid long transport distances for beer and food. Hence the phrase: "We're off to the Keller". You can still enjoy a beer over a large number of cellars, usually in the shade of trees, and sometimes also bring a snack along. As an alternative, many publicans also sell snacks and other meals.
Small, private cellars which used to belong to farmers and home brewers are located in the lower area of the local Kellerberg. Cellars of the historical breweries "Schwarzer Adler", later known as "Goldener Adler", "Sternwirtskeller", "Schwanenkeller" and "Hirschenkeller" can be found above them. The latter is the biggest cellar in the area with a large number of side passages.
People who know Franconia are familiar with beer cellars. They were dug into the hill as natural outsized refrigerators to keep food and, above all, beer at a constant low temperature throughout the year. Many historical breweries as well as several private individuals still have cellars in the Kellerberg. There are cellars with licensed premises in Burgebrach even to this day.
The Old Town Hall
The former District Court
The Church Square
The Parish House
The Elementary School
House of the Niederbronn Sisters
The Forester's House
The Statue of the Virgin Mary